What is wifi calling or VoWIFI?
Wifi Calling is also known as VoWifi or Voice Over WiFi network. In this, your regular wireless internet router with a broadband connection works as a mobile tower for your mobile phone. The phone connects to the telecom network operator over the Internet. You might be using the internet connection for voice calls (VoIP) for a long time, but VoWifi is different from the way it works.
This tutorial will explain the details, for wifi calling, how different from VOIP, advantages, disadvantages, etc.
Wifi network is very common these days. The network provides access to the Internet over a wireless channel. It uses a router, which has an antenna for wireless network connection and ports to connect the Internet.
Wifi calling uses a Wireless Router radio interface to make and receive calls in such a way as using a GSM network tower. With VoWifi the mobile network operator gets more coverage, without installing new gsm mobile towers.
There might be chances that you are carrying a mobile phone in a building basement, that phone may lose the GSM radio network. But if the phone supports wifi calling, then it will switch to the wifi network seamlessly. Enables telephony services, without a GSM cellular network.
The internet packets tunnels to the mobile operator’s network. This enables the mobile operator to control the services for your mobile.
Wifi Calling and VOIP – Are both same?:
- VOIP or Voice Over IP looks similar to wifi calling as both use the internet for calls. But these are two different approaches. In VOIP, to make you need to install a third-party application e.g Skype.
- The identity of the called party could be other than a phone number (e.g skype name). While in wifi calling, the called party identity remains the same.
- The back-end network of the internet provider is used. In VOIP, there will be no interaction with the core network of a mobile operator.
- Wifi calling does not need any additional application on the phone. The phone authenticates itself with the core network as it is doing on a normal cellular network.
What are the Benefits of Wifi Calling?
- Adds more coverage to a mobile operator by using the WiFi network along with the existing telecom network.
- WiFi can be used in places where the strength of a cellular network is weak or no network.
- Fixed-line operators can also start mobile services without buying cellular networks.
- No need to install any additional application to make or receive calls over wifi network.
- Phone contacts remain the same as they used for the normal call over the gsm network.
- Quality of call over wifi is generally good, as most of the places install very high-speed broadband connections and good quality wifi routes.
- Most of the smartphones support the wifi calling. No additional device or application is required.
- Offloads the mobile operator carrier traffic.
- All calls are routed from the mobile operator’s network. This secures the communication as to third party server involves.
How to Enable Wifi Calling in iPhone and Android?
The feature by default is not active. The mobile user has to enable the feature manually. Most of the smartphones have a setting available for wifi calling. At the same time, the mobile network operator should also support the same.
How to Enable on an iPhone?
When it comes to smartphones. iPhone is considered to be a good one. It has all the advanced options, wifi calling is one of them. To enable this feature, the subscriber has to do the following.
- Click on the settings icon.
- Click on the phone.
- Enable the wifi calling by from slider.
- Give the warning, tap on enable.
How to Enable on Android?
Android is a very broadly used platform by google for mobile devices. Many phone manufacturers have adopted Android as the OS for them. The following is explaining how you can enable WiFi calling on Android? The steps may vary for each phone vendor or model from the same phone vendor. We are using, Galaxy S8 for example, on other devices it may be a little different.
- Click on settings,
- Click on connections, then wifi calling.
- Use the slider to turn on the feature.
Mobile network for wifi calling or VoWifi:
The mobile network keeps evolving. This results in more services and a more productive experience for a mobile subscriber. The latest mobile generation is 4G or LTE. Wifi calling is possible with the LTE network only. LTE’s core network called EPC. It can connect a non-3GPP network to the mobile core network. The IMS is the additional component that is needed for wifi calling and VoLTE.
Does a question come, that how a wifi network signaling converts to the LTE-EPC network? This is possible via a gateway ePDG or evolved packet data gateway. This connects public internet to the LTE network. A secure IP based communication takes place between the wifi network and ePDG.